1.5.0 Status, Progress And Timelines

yea but everone know new software is going to have bugs, i bet its going to be 6 months till its stable.

1.4 branch just became somewhat stable 2-3 months ago. There are still afew hundred open bugs on it. It takes time. Its free so we can't complain I am happy my new store is rocken away. Happy i made a switch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

We still absolutely plan to release 1.5 in the end of November. Our team is working on a roadmap with details that we'll be able to provide about the new version and our timeline, and I hope to be able to share that with you soon. As for the bugs and open issues, we've really ramped up our efforts to get those all taken care of for you guys so that everyone is on the same page moving forward to 1.5

-Mike

• 1 month later...

OC2PS,

To be honest I'm in keen to see the next version (at least a RC) of Prestashop. For me this is a really great ecommerce software and I love it! I know how much work is involved to update it and I know answering to any questions on the form is not an easy job. It looks like Mike and Carl are doing a really great job!

I could, couldn't I? The development team probably hate me already, so that's a successful first step :D

this is a really great ecommerce software

It really is. There are some rough edges to be sure, but that's to be expected. The important thing is the team are open to suggestions and working towards solutions.

I'm in keen to see the next version (at least a RC) of Prestashop

Aren't we all? Hang in there!

It looks like Mike and Carl are doing a really great job!

They certainly are!

Hi everyone,

Excitement is brewing here :).

We have some news about 1.5 developments. The planning has been rescheduled so we can thoroughly test it and deliver the most stable version.

End of November we should have an alpha version, beta is now planned for end of December and the RC for end of January.

• Like 1

Exellent !

Could you please tell us if the alpha version will be available on SVN on end of November? If yes, will it be on the http://svn.prestashop.com/trunk/ or on http://svn.prestasho...branches/1.5.x/ ? It's quite important to know this in order to start working on SVN files and make an update on end of january with de release candidate.

Thanks to answer.

Vins.

We have some news about 1.5 developments. The planning has been rescheduled so we can thoroughly test it and deliver the most stable version.

End of November we should have an alpha version, beta is now planned for end of December and the RC for end of January.

Carl, thank you very much for the update. News about the developments on 1.5 had been much awaited and is highly appreciated. Thanks again.

I won't pretend that the rescheduling/postponing of the delay in release is not disappointing - it is. But at the same time, I can't say it comes as a huge surprise either, considering there are 102 open issues.

PS is a business-critical application, and I think you are doing the right thing by focusing on quashing all bugs and delivering a stable, error-free release.

It would serve the team and the community well, though, if the team watch out against the "just one more thing" syndrome, which Matt Mullenweg of Wordpress warns against:

There is a dark time in WordPress development history, a lost year. Version 2.0 was released on December 31st, 2005, and version 2.1 came out on January 22nd, 2007....

What killed us was “one more thing.” We could have easily done three major releases that year if we had drawn a line in the sand, said “finished,” and shipped the darn thing. The problem is that the longer it’s been since your last release the more pressure and anticipation there is, so you’re more likely to try to slip in just one more thing or a fix that will make a feature really shine. For some projects, this literally goes on forever....

Usage is like oxygen for ideas. You can never fully anticipate how an audience is going to react to something you’ve created until it’s out there. That means every moment you’re working on something without it being in the public it’s actually dying, deprived of the oxygen of the real world.

It’s even worse because development doesn’t happen in a vacuum — if you have a halfway decent idea, you can be sure that there are two or three teams somewhere in the world that independently came up with it and are working on the same thing, or something you haven’t even imagined that disrupts the market you’re working in.

@votreprestashop,

This url is indeed the good one for 1.5 : http://svn.prestasho...branches/1.5.x/

You can use it to have the latest version.

@OC2PS,

You are welcome :), we try to inform the community as often as we can.

We understand that some members may be disappointed by postponing the release but, as you highlighted it, we do not want to rush things. We want to deliver the best experience possible with 1.5.

By the way, thanks for the article, it is an interesting one!

I can assure you that for now we have no "just one more thing" syndrome ;).

• Like 1

@Carl Favre

The question was a little bit more complicated... I would want to restart my developement (i'm on a 1.3 now) with a SVN version of 1.5 available on end of November and make the update via SVN on the release candidate on end of January. Is it possible because I think its depends if you publish the 1.5 on http://svn.prestasho...branches/1.5.x/ or on http://svn.prestashop.com/trunk/

Perhaps I'm not clear... please tell me

• 2 weeks later...