In the world of e-commerce, it all starts with a domain name. Your domain name becomes your internet identity and it’s just like selecting a location for a brick and mortar store. If you choose a poor location, or in this case, an ineffective domain name, it can determine the success or failure of your online store.
Today, I’ll be sharing how to pick the right domain name for your online store to help you make your online store an internet hit.
There are two strategies to take when deciding the name of your e-commerce site – a keyword rich domain name or a brand centered domain name – and it’s up to you to decide which one will work best. Let’s get started.
Keyword Rich Domain Names
The easiest way to begin is by making a list of 15 to 20 keyword phrases that relate to the products you’re selling. For example, if you’re selling furniture you might want to use the word “home” in your domain name, same idea if you’re selling make up, you’ll want to include the keyword “cosmetics.” Keep the following in mind:
- Try to keep phrases short – about 2 to 3 keywords long
- Make sure it’s easy to spell, pronounce and remember – it should roll off the tongue nicely
- Do some research – write down the number of times each keyword is searched in your brainstorming list to make sure you pick the best possible name
Note: Hyphens included in domain names do not affect the searchability of your online store but remember that hyphens can be difficult to remember
Examples of domain names used by successful PrestaShop online stores that include keywords:
Brand Domain Names
If you decide to create a domain name that reflects the name of your brand without powerful keywords, understand that you should have SEO friendly webpages to bring in traffic. Also, your brand domain name should align with the products you’re selling. For instance, if my e-commerce site’s name is “Natalie’s Closet” – I should probably be selling womens clothing. Of course, it should still be easy to spell, pronounce and remember. Also, make sure that your site name is not too similar to another – it’s an easy way to lose traffic and you could potentially be infringing on copyright laws.
Examples of brand domain names used by successful PrestaShop online stores:
I’ve gathered a few links that will be helpful in your brainstorming process, check them out!
These websites will let you type in the words you want to include in your domain name and give you a feed of available and suggested domain names using your keywords:
Once you’ve decided on the domain name– I strongly recommend and encourage using one of these 2 hosting providers to purchase your domain name and to host your PrestaShop online store.
- InMotion Hosting offers a free domain name for your first year and also offers 1 click installation for PrestaShop. Check out their special offers for PrestaShop customers – I’ve personally heard amazing reviews about their exceptional customer service and fast speed.
- A2 Hosting offers competitive prices for domain names as well as a no-click PrestaShop set up– they are well known among our users for their affordable solution and high performance.
After reading this, it looks like you’re ready to take the first step towards running a successful e-commerce site. Want to start using PrestaShop? Build and manage your online store for FREE – you’ll only need to pay a small fee for hosting services – Download PrestaShop today!